Few basic tools we use to troubleshoot networking issues are as follows.
- This command is used for viewing and changing the network interfaces of the system.
- Wired connection interfaces will be displayed as <eth#> and wireless connections will be displayed as <wlan#>
- Loopback interface will be displayed as “lo”.
- If you want to specifically view details of a particular interface you can hit, ifconfig <interfaceName>
- You can enable/disable a specific interface using up/down command. ifconfig <interfaceName> up/down
- This is used to send a signal to another device in the network to see if it is active.
- ping <ipaddress/domainName> ping www.google.com
- This lets you see the step by step route a packet takes to a destination.
- traceroute <domainName/ipaddress>
- This lets you query the IP address for a particular domain.
- NSLOOKUP www.google.com will give you the ip address of google.com
- This can be used to see if a particular port of a server is accessible.
- telnet <domainName/ip> <portNumber>
- telnet google.com 80 will check if the port 80 is accessible on google.com